Young Workers Committee
The Canadian Union of Public Employee (CUPE) is a large diverse organization that oversees
the needs and wants of many employees across Canada. One of these diverse classifications is
age and more specifically, looking at the young workers within our workplaces. As many would
say that the more experienced, older generation in our workplace is behind in technological
advancements, some would also say that the younger generation of workers are generally
silenced and overlooked by the older generation workers and their employers in regards to
aspects that could ultimately benefit them and their work environment for years to come
HOW DOES IT WORK
This committee would encompass a minimum of one (1) person per department to discuss
issues revolving around young workers within the workplace such as: Health and Safety, Labour
relations, Collective Bargaining Agreement and much more.
Information gathered and collected will be evaluated and considered by the executive member
for review and consideration for other committees if required. In addition, any notes gathered
throughout the year can be used as discussion topics for the YOW committee when meetings
● Must be 30 years of age or younger
● Be a Member in Good Standing with CUPE Local 4705
● Be actively employed with the City of Greater Sudbury
● Have general knowledge or willingness to learn the Collective Bargaining Agreement
● Have general knowledge or willingness to learn Employment standards Act as well as
general labour laws
By being a part of this committee within CUPE Local 4705 will allow the opportunity for:
● Knowledge and understanding of CUPE and your Collective Agreement.
● Better educate the young workers within your workplace on what a union is and what we
can do for them.
● Find new ways to better our work environment and obtain the opinion of the young
workers to see what really matters to them.
● Most importantly give the young workers a safe space to communicate and relay
information without being discriminated against based on age and experience
WE NEED YOU!
Join our Young Workers Committee
We want to hear your thoughts. Must be 30 years of age of younger.
Nominations Sept 15, 2022 at 6pm
For more information contact you union hall at 705 560 4705